Monday, October 24, 2005

Forsake

Yeah I know three in one night...but I thought of a really cool thing I learned this week.

So I was talking to Hebe this week and we happened to talk about the verse Heb 10:25, "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Which I always thought of this verse as one that told us we should go to church. Not missing church when we are able to go. But he has said he thought about it in the same way as when Jesus cried out in Matt 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

So I got to wondering what the Greek word for each was. It turns out they have the same greek word, Egkataleipo. This word means,

abandon, desert
leave in straits, leave helpless
totally abandoned, utterly forsaken
to leave behind among, to leave surviving

Now, you might not think this is cool, but I was very impressed with learning this. I have never taken the verse in Heb. to have such a harsh meaning. But to totally abandon church is what is wrong. Missing a service because you're tired or busy isn't wrong. That is a totally new mindset for me. Maybe you all will learn something from this too. That was my cool thing from Hebe. He really is a smart guy.

No comments: